Friday, October 03, 2008

Parenting Multiple Kids on the Spectrum

Okay, so I've been reading about the Discovery Channel's special Autism X6. And while I have a lot of empathy for this family and their struggles, am I the only one who wonders why they have 6 biological children with autism to begin with?

At some point didn't they think to themselves, "Gee, maybe we should just concentrate on the children we have here, or look seriously at adoption if we want to grow our family?"

I have three kids, two of which are autistic. I love each of them and I thank God and the Universe for them every day. And there is a part of me that desperately wants to have more. But I also think that it would be kinda irresponsible for us to bring another child into the world, given that two of the three that I have are already autistic. 1 in 3 odds I might play in Vegas, but not with the lives of my existing family, not to mention the life of that new child.

Because nobody sets out as the goal of parenthood to raise autistic children, right?

1 comment:

Chef Penny said...

Get out of my head! I totally thought that too! Nice blog.