Sunday, November 16, 2008

Welcome Aboard the Tuna Boat


So... late this morning, after NOT eating breakfast, my hungry daughter comes at me, armed with a Disney Cookbook , brandishing a recipe for Tuna Boats. "Can we make them, Mom?"

The interesting thing about this is that I have a very distinct and clear memory of making tuna salad with my mom when I was about Blythie's age. So, of course, I agree.

Ingredients are compiled, some on hand, some Daddy has to go out and buy. And Tuna Boat construction begins.

Was I ever as charming and unique as any of my children? I find it hard to believe. Now, don't get me wrong, there are days (quite a few of them in fact) when I can only just barely restrain myself from choking Blythe to death. But this morning was not one of them. She was patient and helpful and just about the cutest thing ever.



I only hope that years from now, on a chilly Sunday morning, her daughter will ask her to help make a tuna salad something. And she might just remember this one:

Tuna Salad Boats
1 bell pepper (we had red)
two stalks of celery
1 medium dill pickle
1 can of tuna in spring water
1/4 of mayo
tsp of dijon mustard
some fresh ground pepper
1 pita bread
tbsp olive oil
dash kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350. Cut pita bread into wedges, about the shape of a sail on a sailboat (you will have some pieces that won't look like sails--that's okay). Brush olive oil on wedges, sprinkle with a little salt and bake them for about 8 minutes or so.
Cut bell pepper into quarters (after removing seeds, of course). I diced the top and added it to the salad. Dice the celery and the pickle and put in a medium sized bowl. Drain the tuna and add to veggies. Add mayo, dijon mustard and mix well with a fork. Grind some pepper over bowl. About this time, your pita bread should be done. Fill your boats, and top with the baked pita "sail". I used a toothpick to ensure structural integrity to the boat.

Enjoy with beverage of choice.
Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go strangle the child who has decided it would be fun to throw cheerios all over the floor. Did I really say my kids were charming?


1 comment:

Three Bright Lights Designs said...

Always good to hear from you, Gemma! I think maybe I'm going to try this when my sailing father-in-law is in town. Blythe is adorable. You'll be happy to know she's passed along her love of all things fairy (Tinkerbell especially) to Meg... who insisted that the next fairy book we had to buy was the one about Vidia because it was the one I read with Blythe. Hope things are going well!