Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cool Excursion for the Week



Okay, so Kiki and I had to go for his fourth RDA today with our RDI Consultant, who happens to live in Peterborough which is an hour drive from our house. So, Lucky Duck that he is, he got to skip school. I was going to take him to school later on when we got home, but he looked at me with such a pleading look on his face, "Please, can we just go home, Mom?" So, being the Total Hardass Parent that I am, I told him "Sure" and we ended up at home after our meeting.

Well, lo and behold, it was actually a stunning day here in Southern Ontario, a little on the cool side in the mid sixties, but I'll take it!!! So, after a quick lunch, I decided we needed to do something fun.

Well, when we first moved her two years ago, I bought a book about fun things to do in Toronto with your kids. I bought a couple of them, actually, but the book I have used the most was this one. It had many cool and different, off-the-beaten-path suggestions to take your kids for a good time, but one that really caught my eye was the Pearson Airport trip.

So we went over to Pearson International Airport to watch the planes land and take off.




Out on Airport Road, in a Wendy's parking lot, there were several "airplane watchers", some of whom had brought their own seating with them. And for the 40 minutes that we were there, more and more arrived. I did a little research after we got home and apparently, all the big jets (747s and up) start to land around 3pm, until 7pm. They just kept coming, these big jets, about one every 5 minutes or so.



They were so close, like a couple hundred feet in the air, and were landing literally across the street from us. It wasn't as loud as I imagined it would be, either, although you tended to feel them before you saw them.




There was a part of me that wondered if this would be even possible at any airports that I have known in the US. Dave assures me that it is, but I must do more research on this when we get back to Philly. And I have to take Blythie.

Next time, with just a little more research, we can have a list of what flights are landing when. Maybe even bring our own seating...



Too, too cool.

No comments: