Saturday, May 01, 2010

HBOT and the Modern Family (with 2 Autistic Kids)

So, we have embarked on a new therapy in our house: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy.



40 dives over the next 8 weeks. With two different kiddos, two times a day. It's going to be a busy two months :(

So, how did I come to this place. Well, I think it's a case of that old saying--When the student is ready, the teacher appears. As anyone who knows me knows, over the past couple of a year or so, I have become a big believer in biomedical treatment of autism. I've used it with both my boys, with some success.

Well, I was at a TACA parent support meeting in my area, and one of the parents there (who is a medical doctor, btw) got up to talk about HBOT and how he credits it as being a big part of helping to recover his twin boys from regressive autism. I made a point to talk to him after the meeting, and he basically talked me into it.

Don't get me wrong, there's a fair amount of science behind HBOT, but basically he talked me into it. He's very passionate about HBOT and recovering kids from autism. Did I mention he's a surgeon? That was my first question to him, btw..."How on earth do you deal with all the negative press and outright hostility towards biomedical intervention with autism?"

He responded with "Because it worked with my kids. Although we doctors like to think we know everything...what we don't know about the human body far outweighs what we do know, particularly when it comes to the brain and its development from infancy to adulthood." He mentioned to the Germ Theory of Disease, the cornerstone upon which all Western Medicine is founded, and how it was rejected for literally centuries until proven by many dedicated doctors and scientists.

What I do know is that HBOT really cannot hurt my boys, in the same way that supplements and vitamins haven't hurt them, and because this past year has been their healthiest year ever, I will continue to try to look for the best and brightest future for them.

But first, I have to get through the next two months and twice daily trips to the HBOT center. I will let you know how we do and what differences we see (if any)in each of them.


No comments: