Friday, June 04, 2010

20 Dives and Counting, An Update

So, here we are. Half way into our 40 dives of HBOT for the boys.

Notice they are in the chamber together. This is awesome, as it means I only have to drive to the HBOT center once a day instead of two. It also means a substantial reduction in the cost, as we now only pay for one dive, instead of two. Apparently the center really didn't want to do this, as they felt there was a liability issue---I guess they thought the boys could start fighting and severely hurt themselves before we could decompress and get to them (the quickest we could get it would be about 30 seconds). But, my boys are fine together. And I think Kiki would be sad if he didn't dive with Cam for some reason.

So here we are, halfway in, and as I promised, I wanted to give an update:

I had a long chat with Cam's teacher, which was originally about this next year and Cam's educational placement. She was quite definite in her assessment of the past month and a half: whatever it is we're doing, keep doing it. Her words exactly were that "Cam is just here, much more present with us, instead of in his own little world." This is so cool because I feel the exact same way, only I was looking for it. Nice confirmation from another, independent source, as they had no idea we were doing this.

Now, I haven't had a similar conversation with Kiki's teacher, but I will. However, I see that Kiki is talking more, expressing more of his thoughts with his language, and that his language is more nuanced. He's paying attention to nonverbal cues more. He's just progressing.

One thing I will say is that the boys have been INCREDIBLY wired in the evenings when they come home from HBOT. And that's what being in 100% oxygen at 1.5 times air pressure will do to you. It's like putting your foot down on the gas pedal of your metabolic engine. Like most things in life, it doesn't just "settle back down nicely" because you want it to do so. But it is getting better.

So far, so good. I'm looking forward to getting my afternoons and evenings back in a few weeks, though.

No comments: